Noun: masking mãs-king
Verb: mask mãsk
- The act of concealing the existence of something by obstructing the view of it
"the masking concealed their guns from enemy aircraft";
- cover, covering, screening
- The blocking of one sensation resulting from the presence of another sensation
"he studied auditory masking by pure tones"
- Scenery used to block the audience's view of parts of the stage that should not be seen
- masking piece
- Hide under a false appearance
"He masked his disappointment";
- dissemble, cloak
- Put a mask on or cover with a mask
"Mask the children for Halloween"
- Make unrecognizable
"The herb masks the garlic taste";
- (cooking) cover with a sauce
"mask the meat"
- (photography) shield from light
- block out
Derived forms: maskings
Type of: aesthesis, conceal, concealing, concealment, cover, esthesis [US], hide, hiding, scene, scenery, sensation, sense datum, sense experience, sense impression
Encyclopedia: Masking Mask, South Khorasan