Noun: remains ri'meynz
Verb: remain ri'meyn
- Any object that is left unused or still extant
"I threw out the remains of my dinner"
- The dead body of a human being
- cadaver, corpse, stiff, clay
- Be in the same place or state for an extended period of time
"The dress remained wet after repeated attempts to dry it"; "He remained unmoved by her tears";
- stay, rest
- Be in the same place, position, or situation for longer
"despite student protests, he remained Dean for another year";
- stay, stay on, continue
- Be left; of persons, questions, problems, results, evidence, etc.
"There remains the question of who pulled the trigger"; "Carter remains the only President in recent history under whose Presidency the U.S. did not fight a war"
- Be in an unchanged state for a long time; last a long time
"The hostility remained long after they made up";
- persist, stay
Type of: article, be, body, dead body, object, physical object
Encyclopedia: Remains Remain