Noun: sophisticate su'fi-stu,keyt
Verb: sophisticate su'fi-stu,keyt
- A worldly-wise person
- man of the world
- Make less natural or innocent
"Their manners had sophisticated the young girls"
- Practice sophistry; change the meaning of or be vague about in order to mislead or deceive
"Don't sophisticate my words";
- twist, twist around, pervert, convolute
- Alter and make impure, as with the intention to deceive
"Sophisticate rose water with geraniol";
- doctor, doctor up
- Make more complex or refined
"a sophisticated design"
Derived forms: sophisticated, sophisticating, sophisticates
Type of: adult, adulterate, civilise [Brit], civilize, complicate, cultivate, debase, denote, dilute, educate, elaborate, grownup, load, rarify, refer, refine, school, stretch, train