Adjective: yawning yo-ning
Noun: yawning yo-ning
- Gaping open as if threatening to engulf someone or something
"the yawning mine shaft"; "a yawning abyss"
- With the mouth wide open indicating boredom or sleepiness
"a yawning congregation"
- Showing lack of attention or boredom
"the yawning congregation";
- drowsy, oscitant, dopy, dopey
Verb: yawn yon
- An involuntary intake of breath through a wide open mouth; usually triggered by fatigue or boredom
"the yawning in the audience told him it was time to stop";
- yawn, oscitance, oscitancy, oscitation
- Utter a yawn, as from lack of oxygen or when one is tired
"The child yawned during the long performance"
- Be wide open
"the deep yawning canyon";
- gape, yaw
Derived forms: yawnings
See also: inattentive, open, opened
Type of: be, breathe, inborn reflex, innate reflex, instinctive reflex, physiological reaction, reflex, reflex action, reflex response, respire, suspire, take a breath, unconditioned reflex
Encyclopedia: Yawning Yawn