Noun: turnout 'turn,awt
Verb: turn out turn awt
- The group that gathers together for a particular occasion
"a large turnout for the meeting"
- [N. Amer] A part of a road that has been widened to allow cars to pass or park
- [N. Amer] A short stretch of railway track used to store rolling stock or enable trains on the same line to pass
- siding, railroad siding [N. Amer], sidetrack, railway siding [Brit, Cdn]
- What is produced in a given time period
- output, outturn
- A set of clothing (with accessories)
"his turnout was exceedingly elegant";
- outfit, getup, rig
- Attendance for a particular event or purpose (as to vote in an election)
"the turnout for the rally"
- (ballet) the outward rotation of a dancer's leg from the hip
- [N. Amer] Designated paved area beside a main road where cars can stop temporarily
- pull-off, rest area [N. Amer], rest stop, layby [Brit], lay-by
- Be shown or be found to be
"The medicine turned out to save her life";
- prove, turn up
- Prove to be in the result or end
"It turns out that he was right"
- Produce quickly or regularly, usually with machinery
"This factory turns out saws"
- Result or end
"How will the game turn out?";
- come out
- Come, usually in answer to an invitation or summons
"How many people turned out that evening?"
- Bring forth
"The apple tree turned out delicious apples this year";
- Put out or expel from a place
"The unruly student was turned out from the game";
- eject, chuck out, exclude, turf out [Brit], boot out
- Come and gather for a public event
"Hundreds of thousands turned out for the anti-war rally in New York"
- Outfit or equip, as with accessories
"The actors were turned out lavishly"
- Turn outward
- splay, spread out, rotate
- Cause to stop operating by disengaging a switch
"turn out the lights";
- switch off, cut, turn off
- Get up and out of bed
"I turn out at 7 A.M. every day";
- get up, arise, uprise, rise
Derived forms: turning out, turns out, turnouts, turned out
Type of: appear, area, assemblage, assemble, attendance, attending, attire, be, cease, come about, create, dress, end, equip, expel, fall out, finish, fit, fit out, flip, foregather, forgather, garb, gather, gathering, go on, hap, happen, kick out, make, meet, occur, outfit, part, pass, pass off, portion, produce, product, production, railroad [N. Amer], railroad track [N. Amer], railway [Brit, Cdn], railway track [Brit, Cdn], rotary motion, rotation, stop, switch, take place, terminate, throw, throw out, turn
Antonym: turn in
Part of: road, route