Adjective: wanting wón-ting
Verb: want wónt
- lacking, absent, missing
- Inadequate in amount or degree
"tested and found wanting";
- deficient, lacking
- Not present or included (despite being expected, required or desired)
- bereft, missing, lacking, devoid
- Have a wish for
"I want my own room"; "I want to go home now";
- Have a requirement for
"This piano wants the attention of a competent tuner";
- need, require
- Hunt or look for; require for a particular reason
"Your former neighbour is wanted by the FBI"; "Uncle Sam wants you"
- Wish or demand the presence of
"I want you here at noon!"
- Be without, lack; be deficient in
"want courtesy"; "want the strength to go on living"; "flood victims wanting food and shelter"
See also: inadequate, nonexistent, unequal
Type of: be, demand, lack, look for, miss, search, seek
Encyclopedia: Wanting Want