Noun: focus (foci,focuses) fow-kus
Verb: focus (focused,focusing,focuses, also focussed,focussing,focusses) fow-kus
- The concentration of attention or energy on something
"the focus of activity shifted to molecular biology";
- focusing, focussing, focal point, direction, centering [US], centreing [Brit, Cdn], centring [Brit, Cdn]
- Maximum clarity or distinctness of an image rendered by an optical system
"in focus"; "out of focus"
- Maximum clarity or distinctness of an idea
"the controversy brought clearly into focus an important difference of opinion"
- A central point or locus of an infection in an organism
"the focus of infection";
- focal point, nidus
- Special emphasis attached to something
"the focus was more on accuracy than on speed";
- A point of convergence of light (or other radiation) or a point from which it diverges
- focal point
- A fixed reference point on the concave side of a conic section
- (computing) the active element in a user interface, typically where user input will appear on screen
"when you click a text box, it gets the input focus"
- Direct one's attention on something
"Please focus on your studies and not on your hobbies";
- concentrate, center [US], centre [Brit, Cdn], pore, rivet
- Cause to converge on or toward a central point
"Focus the light on this image"
- Bring into focus or alignment; to converge or cause to converge; of ideas or emotions
- concenter [US], concentre [Brit, Cdn], focalize, focalise [Brit]
- Become focussed or come into focus
"The light focused";
- focalize, focalise [Brit]
- Put (an image) into focus
"Please focus the image; we cannot enjoy the movie";
- focalize, focalise [Brit], sharpen
Derived forms: focused, focuses, focusses, foci, focusing
See also: focus on
Type of: absorption, accent, adapt, adjust, align, aline [non-standard], cerebrate, clarity, clearness, cogitate, concentration, conform, correct, distinctness, emphasis, engrossment, immersion, limpidity, line up, lucidity, lucidness, pellucidity, point, set, sharpen, sharpness, think
Part of: focal infection
Encyclopedia: Focus, Please!