Noun: hanging hang-(g)ing
Verb: hang (hung) hang
- Decoration that is hung (as a tapestry) on a wall or over a window
"the cold castle walls were covered with hangings";
- wall hanging
- A form of capital punishment; victim is suspended by the neck from a gallows or gibbet until dead
"in those days the hanging of criminals was a public entertainment"
- The act of suspending something (hanging it from above so it moves freely)
"there was a small ceremony for the hanging of the portrait";
- suspension, dangling
- Be suspended or hanging
"The flag hung on the wall"
- Cause to be hanging or suspended
"Hang that picture on the wall"; "hang up that picture on the wall";
- hang up
- Let drop or droop
"Hang one's head in shame"
- Fall or flow in a certain way
"This dress hangs well";
- fall, flow
- Be menacing, burdensome, or oppressive
"This worry hangs on my mind"; "The cloud of suspicion hangs over her"
- Give heed (to)
"She hung on his every word";
- attend, advert, pay heed, give ear
- Be suspended or poised
"Heavy fog hung over the valley"
- Hold on tightly or tenaciously
"hang on to your father's hands";
- Be exhibited
"Picasso hangs in this new wing of the museum"
- Prevent from reaching a verdict, of a jury
- Decorate or furnish with something suspended
- Be placed in position as by a hinge
"This cabinet door doesn't hang right!"
- Place in position as by a hinge so as to allow free movement in one direction
"hang a door"
- Suspend (meat) in order to get a gamey taste
"hang the venison for a few days"
- (of a computer) stop responding to input devices such as keyboard or mouse
"when I press return the computer hangs"
Derived forms: hangings
Type of: adorn, be, beautify, block, blockade, capital punishment, death penalty, decompose, decorate, decoration, drop, embarrass, embellish, executing, execution, fasten, fix, grace, grasp, hinder, hold on, listen, molder [N. Amer], moulder [Brit, Cdn], obstruct, ornament, ornamentation, rot, secure, stymie, stymy, support, supporting
Encyclopedia: Hanging Hanging, drawing, and quartering Hanging, drawing and quartering Hang