Noun: liver li-vu(r)
Adjective: liver li-vu(r)
- Large and complicated reddish-brown glandular organ located in the upper right portion of the abdominal cavity; secretes bile and functions in metabolism of protein and carbohydrate and fat; synthesizes substances involved in the clotting of the blood; synthesizes vitamin A; detoxifies poisonous substances and breaks down worn-out erythrocytes
- Liver of an animal used as meat
- A person who has a special life style
"a high liver"
- Someone who lives in a place
"a liver in cities"
Adjective: live (liver,livest) lIv
- Having a reddish-brown colour
- liver-colored [US], liver-coloured [Brit, Cdn]
- Actually being performed at the time of hearing or viewing
"a live television program"; "brought to you live from Lincoln Center"; "live entertainment involves performers actually in the physical presence of a live audience";
- Exerting force or containing energy
"live coals"; "tossed a live cigarette out the window"; "got a shock from a live wire"; "live ore is unmined ore"; "a live bomb"; "a live ball is one in play"
- Possessing life
"a live canary";
- Highly reverberant
"a live concert hall"
- Charged with an explosive
"live ammunition"; "a live bomb"
- Elastic; rebounds readily
"clean live hair";
- bouncy, lively, resilient, springy
- Abounding with life and energy
"the club members are a really live bunch"
- (printing) in current use or ready for use
"live copy is ready to be set in type or already set but not yet proofread"
- Of current relevance
"a live issue"; "still a live option"
- (electricity) charged or energized with electricity
"a live wire";
- Capable of erupting
"a live volcano";
Derived forms: livers
See also: active, aliveness, animate, animation, charged, colored [US], colorful [US], coloured [Brit, Cdn], colourful [Brit, Cdn], current, elastic, in play, life, liveborn, lively, living, loaded, reverberant, unfilmed, untaped, viable, vital, vitality
Type of: denizen, dweller, habitant, individual, indweller, inhabitant, internal organ, mortal, organs, person, somebody, someone, soul, variety meat, viscus
Antonym: dead, recorded
Part of: cardiovascular system, circulatory system, digestive system, gastrointestinal system, systema alimentarium, systema digestorium
Encyclopedia: Liver Live, Laugh, Love Live, Loud, and Loose Live, Hana Hou! Live Live, 1976-1993 Live, Loud & Local Live, Virtual, and Constructive Live, Suffer, Die Live, virtual, and constructive Live, Volume 3 Live, Love, Larf & Loaf Live, Loud and Loose Live, Raw & Uncut Live, May 1992