Noun: felt felt
Verb: felt felt
- A fabric made of compressed matted animal fibers
Verb: feel (felt) feel
- Mat together and make felt-like
"felt the wool"
- Cover with felt
"felt a cap"
- Change texture so as to become matted and felt-like
"The fabric felted up after several washes";
- felt up, mat up, matt-up, matte up, matte, mat
- Undergo an emotional sensation or be in a particular state of mind
"She felt resentful"; "He felt regret";
- Come to believe on the basis of emotion, intuition, or indefinite grounds
"I feel that he doesn't like me";
- Perceive by a physical sensation, e.g., coming from the skin or muscles
"He felt the wind"; "She felt an object brushing her arm"; "He felt his flesh crawl"; "She felt the heat when she got out of the car";
- Be conscious of a physical, mental, or emotional state
"My cold is gone--I feel fine today"; "She felt tired after the long hike"; "She felt sad after her loss"
- Have a feeling or perception about oneself in reaction to someone's behaviour or attitude
"She felt small and insignificant"; "You make me feel naked"; "I made the students feel different about themselves"
- Undergo passive experience of
"We felt the effects of inflation"; "her fingers felt their way through the string quartet"; "she felt his contempt of her"
- Be felt or perceived in a certain way
"The ground feels shaky"; "The sheets feel soft"
- Grope or feel in search of something
"He felt for his wallet"
- Examine by touch
"Feel this soft cloth!";
- (medicine) examine (a body part) by palpation
"The runner felt her pulse";
- Find by testing or cautious exploration
"He felt his way around the dark room"
- Produce a certain impression
"It feels nice to be home again"
- Pass one's hands over the sexual organs of
"He felt the girl in the movie theatre"
Derived forms: felts, felting, felted
See also: feel for
Type of: appear, be, believe, change, cloth, comprehend, conceive, conclude, consider, cover, entangle, experience, fabric, find, go through, look, look for, mat, material, perceive, reason, reason out, regain, search, see, seek, seem, snarl, tangle, textile, think, touch
Encyclopedia: Felt, Idaho Felt Felt, Oklahoma Felt, OK Feel